Happy New Year! How many of you made New Year’s resolutions? How many have you messed up already? How many of you are too jaded to even bother? I can identify. Sometimes the New Year fills me with hope of change. Sometimes it overwhelms me with expectation. We all have stuff we’d like to fix about ourselves because none of us are perfect. I’m so thankful that God loves us anyway. I am deeply grateful for mercy.
I had to go to court today for a speeding ticket. I think court is a fascinating place for people watching...and no it wasn’t my first visit. It’s interesting to watch people walk in. Everyone has a guilty look on their face, especially in traffic court. I always try to appear casual, nonchalantly reading my book, like I wandered into court purely for the ambience. I fool no one, I’m sure.
Once again I was caught for being in a hurry with no real good reason. I hoped to talk to the Assistant DA to have the ticket reduced, so I wouldn’t have to pay for my transgressions for years to come. As it came closer to my time at the front, I realized how much I needed mercy. I needed the ADA to look upon me with favor that I definitely didn’t deserve. I didn’t have anyone to take my place...it was just me and the ADA.
He asked me what I did wrong and I confessed to speeding. Sure I had all kinds of fabulous excuses but they didn’t really matter, so I didn’t bother. I was guilty. I knew it, he knew it and anyone who has known me for any length of time at all would know it. He did some scribbling that I couldn’t see while I held my breath. He reduced it! I said thank you and refrained from hugging him. I paid my ticket and walked out a free woman!
I’ll do my very best to be good from now on. Cruise control is my friend. I wish I had it for all of the other aspects of my life, since being perpetually hurried is not my only flaw. I’m sure I’ll mess up in some respect again (maybe even before I finish writing this column), but I know that God’s amazing grace forgives me and lets me be a free woman again. You don’t need a ball to drop in New York City to get a fresh start on life.
I wish for you all a Happy New Year full of blessings, mercy and ample opportunity for “do-overs” because we all need them.
Also, don’t forget to set your cruise control.
No comments:
Post a Comment