Wednesday, August 17, 2011

My Favorite Mistake (PQW 8/17/11)


August is a big time of change for many people right now.  Some are heading to a new school and some might be hitting the job market.  But today, I write about the August that lives in infamy.  It’s been 10 years since the August of my most naive, yet most important, mistake of all time.  The August I moved out for no legitimate reason. 
I had been in college a while, pursuing a lucrative degree of learned homelessness (Musical theatre, for those of you unfamiliar with the field).  It was fun, challenging, and exactly what I wanted to be doing.  But, I was starting to get the hint that the job market wasn’t exactly exploding in the performing arts.  I was starting to feel a bit of panic at what to do next.  I was starting to think about growing up. 
My sister was getting married & we, as a family, were all pretty involved in helping to remodel their future home.  Painting on top of a ladder gave me a lot of time to think, which is incredibly dangerous.  I was 23 and I really needed a change.  A friend of mine was heading to ECU to finish her Bachelor of Fine Arts and she needed a roommate.  I needed “grow up space”, so I figured, “why not?” 
Money, or the lack thereof, has never stopped me.  The day after my sister said her “I do’s” I packed up and headed to Greenville.  I fixed up my bedroom, blissfully free of the Holly Hobby couture that had haunted me at home since the age of 5.  I hit the pavement looking for work soon after moving and found myself completely out of my element.  All of the college-y jobs were taken by college students.  Other jobs expected applicants to have already finished college and majored in something somewhat relevant. 
I finally found a job managing commercial traffic for a radio station and even got to do voice work for commercials.  It was cool, but it barely paid the bills.  Grocery shopping was a nightmare.  My parents still sent me money, and I learned to budget like a mad woman.  Five months later, the station opted to lay me off and hire interns that wouldn’t require benefits.  It was a crushing blow.  I packed up my little room, bid my friend goodbye, and headed back to Hertford with my last $60, which was robbed from me flamboyantly with a brick through my car window.
A terrific mistake by all accounts, the 6 months I spent “on my own” taught me a lifetime of skills.  I learned to budget, I learned to shop, and I learned that my ideas are not even close to being as fabulous as God’s plan for me.  I crawled back home to Mom & Dad as someone who had made a big mistake, yet learned a powerful lesson.  I had grown up more than I thought possible.  My favorite mistake shaped me into me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment