I love Thanksgiving! I love the whole idea of setting aside a time in our year to really focus on all of the great things we really have. If you are like most people (ahem, me), our day-to-day blessings sometimes get lost among the distractions of life. While the whole country seems to be full-steam ahead on the Christmas train, I think it’s so important for us to take the time to stop and be grateful for what we already have before we focus on all the things we want. Do you feel overwhelmed with Christmas? Taking the time as a family to discuss all the wonderful things you have been blessed with really puts all of the shopping at Christmas in perspective.
In my family at Thanksgiving, we take time before the blessing to go around the table and mention something we are thankful for that day. I was thinking of that recently and wondered what I would pick this year. As I went through a list in my head, I was humbled and overwhelmed.
I am very thankful to be a Christian in America and free to worship my Savior in the church of my choice. I’m thankful that all the people who predicted “dooms day” this year were totally wrong. I’m thankful that I get to raise my children in the town I grew up in. I have a fantastic husband who has a great job in this economy that allows me to stay home and raise our children. It’s an even bigger blessing that he actually enjoys what he does for a living most of the time! I’m thankful there’s still a few TV shows left that I can stand to watch. I’m super thankful my son uses the potty now. I’m thankful to have a great relationship with my smart and funny parents. I even get along with my mother-in-law! I’m thankful the sun still rises, even on the days when I don’t want to. I’m thankful to be expecting our second son. His arrival will complete our family in a wonderful way. I’m very grateful for technology. It allows us to stay in contact with so many important people in our lives. I’m thankful for coffee. I’m thankful for those Magnum chocolate caramel ice cream bars. I’m thankful for my son’s preschool teachers. I’m thankful for our home and vehicles and to have enough food to feed my family. I’m thankful for my sister, her family, and all the laughs that come from spending time together.
Even when you think life is pretty rough, there’s so many little things and big things to celebrate! When you count the blessings in your own life, let them over flow into the lives of those less fortunate. The food bank is always in need. Those handsome Marines in uniform would be happy to accept your Toys for Tots. Let your blessings bless others this year!

No comments:
Post a Comment