Kids today have mostly anything they could possibly ever want. Many kids I know have more high tech toys & games than I even know how to use. Thankfully, all the kids I know have most of their basic needs too, but that isn’t the case everywhere. Did you know that 300 million children across the world go without shoes each day and a million die as a result? Die without shoes, you ask incredulously? YES! People are dying from exposure to parasites that can be stopped by the wearing of protective foot wear. Shoes can save your life in some parts of this world. As a woman, I always knew shoes were awesome, but even I didn’t know they were life-saving!
This is exactly why there is an organization of over 70,000 volunteers called Samaritan’s Feet! These people want to make a positive difference in the world and are succeeding by reaching out to 3.5 million children and adults in 60 nations around the world. They wash feet, provide shoes and give them a message of hope. This work is made possible by donations from awesome people like you!
Interested in helping out this good cause? I knew you would be! On April 28, the Junior Women’s Club of Perquimans County and Samaritan’s Feet have partnered to host a 5K to raise money to help this awesome mission. You can run or walk, by yourself or in a group! Register before 4/26/12 at www.active.com or in person the day of the race. Packet Pick-up/Registration 6:30am-8:00am on Race Day at the Recreation Dept. Race starts at 8:30am. Children under 12 run free. If you would like more information about Samaritan’s Feet, visit www.samaristansfeet.org . They are a sister organization of Samaritan’s Purse that does the Operation Christmas Child shoebox drive every year. Need more race info? Ask me or email gfwc.jwcpc@gmail.com
Not a runner? Yeah, I’m not much of one either. That’s ok! Feel free to walk the 5K! It’s really not that far. You can do it. Are you thinking about being a runner? The Couch to 5K plan is really great to get started. I tried it a couple of years ago. Running was expensive for me. All that most people need to run is a great pair of sneakers and some self-hate. I needed a new wardrobe of high-tech, sweat-wicking workout clothing designed to make me look much faster than I really am. I got picked on for that. To those “haters” I say ‘I might be incredibly well-dressed, whining and kinda slow, but I’m lapping all of you guys on the sofa!’
Feel free to use this 5K to recharge those “new year’s resolutions” for a fit lifestyle! It will feel great to cross the finish line. A sense of accomplishment and a sense of charity in helping a wonderful organization. How can you go wrong? Go sign up!
No comments:
Post a Comment