Monday, April 17, 2017

Ya Doubt? (and some of why I do what I do)

This started as a Facebook post, but then it chased a rabbit down a hole, in typical Ashlea fashion, and grew up into a beeeeautiful blog. Or whatever. 

---

Luke was a scientist. A doctor that wrote a facts-based account of the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus. He included a whole chapter (24) about how those closest to Jesus struggled with doubt. It did not make them less in the eyes of Jesus. He did likely want to scream "Dude, I'm RIGHT HERE." But He knows we needed more. 

That's a very compelling part of the gospels. I think it's a compelling part of being a disciple today, as well. We've all had to work through doubt. This all requires faith. It's an assurance of things hoped for that we cannot see or understand. (Heb 11:1) You don't get to the Faith part without the sometimes muddy tug-of-war with doubt. Sometimes, multiple rounds. 

Maybe you're reading this and think "yeah, doubt is wicked familiar." It's ok. Be assured that you're loved by God already. I do this tug-of-war sometimes. I talk to trusted friends, read through John, and find my faith again in the power of his creation. The tomb is still empty. He's alive! If Easter was real, then it has to move me to audacious love far beyond my comfort zone. 

Challenging? Good heavens, yes. But I know that this is something far bigger than me. It's legacy work. I want to burn out everything I've got for the cause and finish this life knowing I made a tiny little difference in the grand scheme of things. I believe in the power of kid and student ministry. I'm not a believer in "Christianese" behavior modification. This is ❤️heart work, but man is it going to be worth it to see what God does in their lives. I want to be a safe place for them. I'm not going to flinch when doubt is an issue. (I really don't flinch at much, honestly. Ha!) I want to show them how to walk through this muddy mess so that they can help the next person. 

It's big stuff. 

You in? 

---

I'm serious. Wanna get involved like this? If you go to church with me at New Community Church, that's easy. I can hook you up. If not, I'd encourage you to meet with your pastor and tell them what you want to do and why. The "what" part is really all most need, but the "why" part can encourage them too!


No comments:

Post a Comment