Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Rebel Reader! (PQW 9/21/11)

I’m proud to be an American! Sounds very patriotic. While I am a believer of the things that make our country good, I most appreciate the freedom we have here to think for ourselves. This month is National Banned Books month and I am thankful to be able to read them anyway.
Before you call me a naughty girl, I’d encourage you to Google the list of the 50 most banned books in our country. It’s likely you will agree with some of the choices (“The Anarchist Cookbook” will get you on a watch list). But others will leave you confused as to why they are there. Or you may not be familiar with a single one of them. Here’s just a few. 
One of the most challenged books in the history of the world is the Holy Bible. Surprised? Well, not if you have read it. Typically books are added to this list when they make the reader uncomfortable or have to look at themselves in a way they don’t really like. I’m a Christian and I’ve never been able to read the whole Bible comfortably either. It wasn’t written as a “feel good” novel. It was written to motivate change. I’m thankful to be an American because I own a few copies of the Bible in different versions and I can tell you that in a newspaper. Not every country is that fortunate.
“Huckleberry Finn” is another book that is always on a list somewhere. Mark Twain wrote the book to speak out against the racism he saw around him. It’s about a white boy and a black man who are friends. It’s banned because of the “N” word. That word makes us uncomfortable and people are afraid of it. You know what? They should be! But people who do not learn about history are doomed to repeat it. If you have not read that book, go get it right now; the unedited version. Let it bother you. Twain wanted it to bother you.
“The Lorax” by Dr. Suess. This book is about taking care of the Earth and speaking for the trees. Doesn’t sound so bad, now does it? Well...unless you happen to be a logger in California with political ties. Go read that book. Then plant a tree.
“The Diary of Anne Frank” has been in a fight for many years. Apparently, it’s too depressing. Yeah, so was the Holocaust. All those millions of people killed for basically no reason other than being different. Definitely depressing. History often times is depressing.
“Farenheight 451” by Ray Bradbury is a book about banning books. Yes, it’s on the list. Irony? Scary.
You may agree with many of the books on the list. Sometimes they are just not age appropriate. Some (Harry Potter) are targeted by religious/political groups. I encourage you to exercise your American freedom and read what you want. Think for yourself. Go visit the Public Library!

No comments:

Post a Comment