I really adore the state of North Carolina, the land and the people who live here. I haven’t always fully appreciated this place, mind you. There was a time when I thought just about anywhere else would be better than NC, especially Hertford. But that changed as I got older. Moving away for a few years helped with that, I think. Absence makes the heart grow fonder!
My husband is from Southern California (bless his heart) and when we got married, much of his family came east for the ceremony. I remember watching them look at the cotton fields and farm equipment and wondering what they thought of it all. Craig’s grandmother, Grace, turned to me once and said “I just love all of your trees! Everything is so green and lush!” I proudly said thank you (like they were all mine or something) and marveled at them myself...for probably the first time in ages. We do have pretty trees!
When we were living in Massachusetts, I would’ve seriously maimed someone for some Eastern Carolina BBQ. I actually dreamed about it at night, no kidding! There was a restaurant on Cape Cod that advertised itself as having that precious Eastern NC BBQ. They even used an awful fake NC accent in the commercial. Craig and I almost ran to that place to get some. We soon stared at our plates full of western, tomato-based pulled pork and I think I shed a tear. I wanted to sue that place for emotional turmoil. It was cruel. I’m not someone who complains much at restaurants, but I told those people they were wrong. They didn’t believe me and I assured them my accent was not fake. I have no idea if they took me seriously, but they should. BBQ is serious business! It can soothe the homesick.
Aside from food, I have to say the whole state is awesome. I love how our state changes physically from east to west. It’s so flat here you can watch a dog run away for six days. But by the time you get to Raleigh, there’re hills and red dirt. Our mountains are so lovely, too. Definitely not the jagged, snow-capped Sierra Nevada’s that my husband grew up hiking, but older and equally majestic rounded peaks of trees that are especially lovely this time of year!
We went to the State Fair for the first time this year and I walked around looking at all the crafts from different parts of the state, many places I’ve never visited and some I’ve never even heard of! It occurred to me that I really should take the time to appreciate what treasures we have right here in North Carolina. I’m ready to go exploring!
No comments:
Post a Comment